As the “Shelter in Place” order continues, it is important to remember that along with taking care of our physical health, we should also be equally mindful of our emotional and mental wellbeing. In order to do so, we wanted to share with you five great ways to practice wellness-at-home, to help you keep a positive and calm mindset through these uncertain times.
Physical and Mental Wellness
Through these times, it is very important to continue to stimulate your physical wellness. One way to achieve this is to practice yoga at home, so our friends over at Sports Basement have been offering virtual yoga and Pilates classes, among other types of workouts. Every Thursday morning from 10-11 AM, they offer “Yoga with Jean”, while every Friday from 12:15-1:00 PM they have “Mindful Movement Pilates with Naya”. Both classes are super fun! For more information, please visit their Instagram page.
Meanwhile, meditating at home is another great way to achieve mental wellness. Although the Monterey Bay Aquarium is closed, they are providing special programs in an effort to instill calmness and tranquility within the community. At 8:00 AM PST, Monday through Friday, the Aquarium is offering ten minutes of morning mindfulness with their “Medit-Ocean” sessions. Attend this virtual class and start your day with a soothing and guided meditation, while gazing at relaxing ocean imagery. Check out their Facebook page for more information.
If you want a more personalized meditation experience, Judith Duval offers amazing wellness programs focused on mind, body, and spirit, leading to tranquility and happiness. Check out her website to read more about what she offers.
Lastly, another great way to stimulate your mental health is to practice and perfect your artistic skills! The owners of Bottle and Bottega merged with Painting with a Twist about a year ago and are now offering paint-at-home kits for sale on their website, Kits are available for both kids and adults and are only $33 each. Kits include instructions (some with video), canvas, paintbrushes, paints, paper plate palette, a napkin, and a cup. Kits may be picked up at their partner restaurant, Thai Tamarind, in Belmont.
Decorate with Flowers and Plants
Need more color in your home or home-office? Starting April 20, Blossoms Flower Shop in San Mateo is now delivering gorgeous blooms right to your doorstep. Our friends at Blossoms have found a great source of fresh flowers in Half Moon Bay to add some brightness and positivity to your space.
Furthermore, you can avail of the benefits that gardening provides and show support to Gamble Gardens in Palo Alto by purchasing plants from their brand new online shop! They have a great selection of edible and non-edible plants. You may order and pay online by clicking here and pick up at Gamble. Pickup days are Tuesdays and Saturdays and Gamble Garden Members will enjoy a 10% discount on all plants. Keep checking the online plant sales page over the next few weeks as plant inventory may change.
Cook a Healthy Meal
You know what they say - good food means good mood! Although we can and should use this time to treat ourselves, there are many healthy produce options to be aware of in order to support our local farms. Many of our local farms are offering farm box subscriptions or farm deliveries, giving you healthy meal options at a reasonable price, and allowing you to reduce your carbon footprint! We know going to grocery stores can be a stressful feat, so why not consider the healthier and less stressful option? To learn more about what farms are offering Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes, read our recent blog!
Spend time with Loved Ones
Whether you’re quarantining with family, roommates or by yourself, it is important that you reach out to loved ones to feel comfort during this difficult time. Some things you can do are join a Zoom call with friends and/or family and propose group happy hours or wine nights! Seeing your loved ones, even if it’s through a computer screen, will help relieve some stresses that this time is bringing forth. If you’re curious about things to do, check out this blog that lists fun things to do online. If you’re looking for great, local wine, check out some of our local wineries offering deliveries or takeout.
If you’re looking for something sweet to treat yourself, you’re in luck! A handful of our partners are offering delicious treats to excite your taste buds!
- Mazzetti’s Bakery in Pacifica remains open and is providing families with delicious items to enjoy. They are serving treats such as cakes, breakfast pastries, dessert pastries, fresh-baked bread and more, all to-go for pickup! They are open Tuesday through Sunday from 6:30 AM to 6:00 PM. For more information on items to order, visit their website.
- Rosalind Bakery in Pacifica is also selling delicious fresh bread baked daily. You may order bread as well as pantry supplies (flour, yeast, etc.) from the bakery and/or on their website. Check out their Instagram to stay updated on their farmers’ market stands, too! They are open daily from 7 am to 2 pm.
- SWEET55 Swiss Chocolates and Confections in Half Moon Bay is selling delicious treats such as their infamous chocolates, bread, croissants, and more both online and in-store! Their hours are Friday 4/17 11am-3pm, Sat 4/18 9am-3pm, Fri 4/24 11am-3pm, Sat 4/25 9am-3pm, Fri 5/1 11am-3pm and Sat 5/2 from 9am-3pm. Check out more of their amazing options on their website.
- Alexander’s Patisserie is open Tuesday-Saturday from 12:00-8:00 PM and Sunday from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM. Offering traditional and modern European pastries and baked goods, Alexander’s is the perfect place to get out-of-the-ordinary sweet treats. From Matcha Roulades to cheesecake to croissants, this shop in Mountain View will definitely fill your cravings! View their beautiful pastries on their Instagram and order from their website.
- Last but definitely not least, Caramel Caravan is offering a whole 20% off all of their Caramel boxes! If you haven’t tried this delectable treat, now is definitely the time. Their sweet & salty confection is perfect to enjoy while binging a good TV show, or you can even send boxes to friends and family at home! Visit their website for ideas.
We hope that you will find something here that will bring you mental and emotional wellness during these stress-inducing times. Remember to keep social distancing - this will all be over soon!