COVID-19 TRAVEL UPDATES IN SAN MATEO COUNTY
We were all extremely jubilant when California fully reopened on June 15, 2021! However, in an effort to minimize the impact of the Delta Variant, on August 3, 2021, the San Mateo County Health Department implemented an indoor mask requirement which includes activities such as indoor dining, events, shopping, and gyms. Activities in an outdoor setting such as outdoor dining, outdoor yoga, etc. do not require masking.
Neighboring counties of San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, and the City of Berkeley all have the same requirement.
In addition, the City of San Francisco now requires patrons to show proof of vaccination for indoor dining, events, shopping, and gyms. Proof of vaccination is a requirement – negative COVID tests or self-attestation are not accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: San Mateo County DOES NOT have this proof of vaccination requirement.
UPDATES ON LARGE GATHERINGS IN SAN MATEO COUNTY
For all indoor events of 1,000 people or more, proof of vaccination is required. Self-attestation or a negative COVID test will not be accepted starting September 20, 2021. Face coverings are now required.
For all outdoor events of 10,000 people or more, proof of vaccination is highly encouraged. Self-attestation or a negative COVID test may be used at the discretion of the event's organizer. Face coverings are also required.
These requirements for large gatherings are uniform throughout the State of California.
- Information about Indoor Mask Mandate in San Mateo County
- Information about Large Gatherings in California
- Free COVID-19 Testing in San Mateo County
- SFO COVID-19 Testing for Travelers
- State of California Requirements
- San Mateo County Health Services
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
Our "Reopened & Ready" Pledge
The San Mateo County/Silicon Valley region is known for its resilience and innovative ways to succeed and continue to move forward. As we move forward with our reopening, local businesses are pledging to take every precaution to keep YOU safe and healthy while visiting our destination.
As San Mateo County & Silicon Valley business partners, we PLEDGE to:
- Use face coverings.
- Ensure hand sanitizer is readily available.
- Practice and encourage physical distancing.
- Follow CDC cleaning protocols.
- Continuously innovate to reduce touch points.
- Provide our staff with COVID-19 awareness training.
We are proud that more and more San Mateo County and Silicon Valley businesses are taking the "Reopened & Ready" pledge, with more joining daily. See the full list of participating businesses below.